Today marks the 13th anniversary of his murder. I actually don’t remember the moment I found out he had been killed. I believe I was at home in my bedroom, probably on my pank canopy bed swinging my little 12-year-old legs. I remember the aftermath, the reactions, the funeral, etc. but not the moment I found out he died (I remember Tupac, Aaliyah, and Left Eye very clearly).
Because I like to get ignant with it every now and then, here are my Biggie jamz.
Big Poppa WITH the video for the following reasons:
1. The beat is perfect for waving your hands in the aye-yair like you don’t have bills to pay and shit
2. Mary J. Blige sipping it up with that ignant look on her face at the :24 mark and then gettin drunk-crunk at the 1:19 mark.
3. Biggie chewing on SOMETHING as the camera zooms in on him for the 1st verse
4. Tranniez in the men’s restroom?! I blame Puffy.
5. Sweatshirts, beanies, and indignant facial expressions were all acceptable clubbing gear. Even for the ladies.
6. The lines: “Who they attractin’ with that line, what’s yo name, what’s yo sign? Soon as he buy that wine, I just creep up from behind *DEAD* and ask you what yo interests are, WHO YOU BE WITH? *DEADER*” and then “…go fill my belly. A T-bone steak, cheese eggs, and Welch’s grape” *DEADEST* Like, why is he so specificccccccc? Like he was thinking about what he wanted that entire night? Like he KNEW he was bout to wreck shop on that late night snack?
Dead Wrong and let me tell you this is aptly named because the lyrics ARE dead wrong. Do NOT listen if you’re faint-hearted (faint-eared?) cause LAWD there are some terrible, unclassy, unelegant lyrics in this song. But um, I WILL jam this whilst cleaning *insert Crabby’s stone-face here* or cooking just to get angry with it. I’m ignant, yes I know.
Also, from Mo Money Mo Problems, the line that goes: “Tap my cell, and my phone in the basement” I always thought it was “Tap myself, and I fall in the basement” LAWD
I do bankhead bounce to some other Biggie tunes but y’all probably know the rest. I have to say, his death really did not hit me until I was in my 20’s and that was only because I realized just how YOUNG he and Tupac were. Like, it really is a damn shame to look back at their lives and all they were involved in and realize they were both in their EARLY TWENTIES. Christ.
So what are your favorite Biggie jamz? Ignant or not? What did you think of him as a rapper? As a person (as much as you could know anyway)? From interviews, I gather he was a human being exhibiting the normal balance between positive and negative characteristics. He really was humble, nice, charming, funny but he was also a woman-beater and drug dealer. Neither side should be forgotten in a person.
*And I swear fo GAWD if KB comes in here calling him Niggie again, I’m taking a personal day tomorrow. Lock the door to the comments before she comes in y’all, I beg you.